Friday, December 25, 2009

अरसिकेषु कवित्वनिवेदनं शिरसि मा लिख l

वितर तापशतानि यदृच्छया विलिख तानि सहे चतुरानन l
अरसिकेषु कवित्वनिवेदनं शिरसि मा लिख मा लिख मा लिख ll

Oh Lord Brahma (चतुरानन), (You may) write (विलिख ) any other hundreds of troubles (तापशतानि) that you like (याद्रिच्छया) (in my destiny) I will bear them (तानि सहे) .
(However) most definitely do not write (मा लिख मा लिख मा लिख ) reciting poetry (कवित्वनिवेदनं) to unappreciative people (अरसिकेषु)(into my destiny)!

It is believed that Lord Brahma the creator, inscribes the destiny of a human being on his forehead, which determines the future events in his life. So the poet tells Lord Brahma that he would not mind any number of other sorrows being written into his future- except that of reading the poetry he has composed, to an unappreciative or ignorant audience.

Audience response is important to an artiste. The clapping at the end of a play, signals to the actors, that the spectators have enjoyed their performance. That is why so many actors find it more fulfilling to act on the stage than in films- because they enjoy the enthusiastic response that a live audience gives, after a great performance.

Any person giving a speech wants to know that the audience understands what he is trying to convey. When his listeners nod after he makes an important point, and laugh at a punchline, then he feels satisfied that they have understood what he is saying.

In the same manner, any poet feels gratified when his listeners are moved by his verses. If they are unappreciative, if his words make no impression on them, that is a very disappointing experience for him. So he implores Lord Brahma not to write such an experience in his destiny.

2 comments:

Vinod_Sharma said...

I am no poet. In fact I am far from it. But, I can appreciate the lament of whoever wrote this. I have posted a few of the poems that I have written in one of my blogs. The silence is telling!!!

manju said...

Vinodji- There is no mention of the name of the poet who wrote this, in the books I refer to. It must be a universal lament of all poets everywhere!

I read some of the poems in your blog, but did not leave a comment. I will now!:)